Monday, September 22, 2008

Monster cable knife

No...not these ridiculous things...

A monster cable knife!
This big Bowie-style knife was made by a Maryland blacksmith a few years back. I've since lost/forgotten his name, but I think he hailed from Havre De Grace. This knife was his first attempt at bladesmithing. I impulse bought it at the Delaware Harvest Moon Festival at Ashland Nature Center. I'd love to know the blacksmith's name, so if anyone ever sees a blacksmith at the aforementioned festival whose touch mark is a tiny fish, drop me a line with his info.

Anyway, the knife is especially cool becasue it is made from a length of 1" diameter steel cable. The smith created the blade by forging the intertwined wires into a Damascus style blade. The patterning is still visible on the blade. The overall length is about 12".

This knive also comes with a story. Shortly after I bought it, a young missy that worked with my wife came around hawing Cutco kitchen knives (a set of which I bought and have been very happy with for over 8 years). As part of her Cutco demonstration, missy whipped out a piece of leather (like belt material) and challenged me to bring out the sharpest knife in the house. Expecting me to go to the kitchen, she looked at me a little funny when I went to the armory. When I came back with this knife, the wife knew what was coming. I promptly julianned her leather swatch into tiny little 1/8" strips, leaving little missy somewhat stunned.

When it came to the tomato test, however, I was not as competitive, so I bought the set, primarily for this whippy little number. This'll cut tomato so thin you can read a book through the slices, and then turn around and smear a molecule-thin layer of mayonaise on some toasted rye, which the monster cable knife could never do.

Mmmmm....sandwich.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh! Diggin' the blog, bro! I thinks the maker of this is a dude named Steve Bunting. I gotta find his page...