Monday, October 20, 2008

More stuff I pulled out of the water #2


I know I've been getting away from the weapon/weapon-related item theme lately, but I wanted to share some of the many things I've "rescued" from various regional waterways. Since I also collect old bottles, I'm throwing in the ones I've found at sea. We'll circle back to the weapon related stuff later, including some I've pulled from the water (or beach). As you'll eventually see, Flintlock's Arsenal is more than a collection of arcane weapons - it represents my own personal Wunderkammer.

Anyway, I found this bottle in an oyster dredge on one of Delaware's leased oyster grounds during a spat survey about 15 years ago. The side is embossed with "MAR-MAT Brand BEVERAGES" and "Millville, NJ" along the bottom. The image shows a waiter or bus-boy in traditional garb, and his features may be those of an African American youth (it's hard to tell due to surface erosion). I'm not sure of the date on this one, but it is probably pre-1950's at least.

No comments: