Saturday, November 8, 2008

Poor tree.

Here's a big U.S. Navy Mark 74 telescope - once used for sighting big guns (> 5") on navy ships. The builder's plate indicates a manufacture date of 1944, so this sight may have helped sink some Japanese or German ships - who knows?



This was my first purchase many years ago on the fledgling E-Bay. It's mostly brass, and weighs about 20 lbs. I won the auction for something like $5.00, and I think shipping was around $15.00. The scrap value alone probably makes it a good buy!

Anyway, the optics are good (if a little dirty), and the crosshairs are fine.

Here's a shot through it drawing a bead on my neighbor's tree with no color filter:


Here's a shot through it drawing a bead on my neighbor's tree with a yellow filter:


Here's a shot through it drawing a bead on my neighbor's tree with a red filter:


You're thinking: "What's that poor tree ever done to you?", right?

Nothing. Which is why I ended up not shooting it with the 5" naval gun sticking out of my living room window.

No comments: