Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Big One



This scary looking black rifle is an Springfield Armory M1A, the semi-auto version of the old M14 rifle (later superseded by the M16). Chambered in .308 (aka 7.62 x 51 mm NATO), this guy is equipped with National Match barrel and flash suppressor, bayonet lug (thereby making in illegal in stupid states like New Jersey), 10 round mag (pictured), 20 round mag (not pictured), and black synthetic stock (original wood stock, not shown, can be swapped out). I got this for a song - a dude was selling in on consignment at a gun store for a price that was obscenely low. I bought it the day he brought it in - later that day he had a change of heart and wanted it back. Too bad. Let's just say I got this rifle for about 1/4 of what it's worth.

Afterward, I equipped it with a scope mount and a variable power Redfield scope. I've shot it out to 300 yards, and from a rest it's easily sub-minute of angle (approx. 3" at 300 yards), even in my clumsy hands with factory ammunition. Sadly, the outdoor range near my house closed a few years ago, and there's no place (that's reasonably priced) nearby that has a range out past 100 yards, so I've not shot this rifle in a while.

No pirates or nautical dainties here - just some serious firepower.

No comments: