Friday, February 6, 2009

It's Fossil Friday #1!


Shut up. It starts with "F".

I decided to make Fridays fossil days, since I'm shit out of fish knives. Plus, I have a few fossils. Now, I'm no paleontologist, nor do I want to be. Most of my fossils come from fairly local sources like the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal or Calvert Cliffs, MD. With that said, I decided to start the series with a purchased piece that was given to me a gift. I have no idea where this was collected, so it's contextual value is zero. However, as a fisheries biologist, this piece is fascinating. Plus, it's a fish.

The fossilized genus here is Knightia, which is very similar in many respects (size, shape, etc.) to modern herring; species that I have extensive experience handling. The similarities through time are compelling, and fossils like these only go to show the absolutely powerful process of evolution.

I'll get to some local fossils next time....

No comments: