Friday, September 5, 2008

It's Fish Knife Friday #1!

What the hell is Fish Knife Friday? Glad you asked.


On Fish Knife Friday, I am going to post an image of one (or two, we'll see how things go) of my fish knives!

What the hell is a Fish Knife? Glad you asked.

I don't know.

Here's what I think I know. They are small, folding, hand held knives. The don't open fully (usually about 3/4 fully opened). Some are wood and are often carved to look like fish, but sometimes they are made from buffalo (?) horn, giving them a distinctly squid-like appearance (I'll show you next week). All have a lanyard and/or loop for hanging.

They are probably not weapons in the true sense, but they are knives, so I'm including them here in this blog. If you don't like it, I make you talk to the missus. Mine, that is...

I've heard them called Shad Knives, Herring Knives, Fisherman's knives, etc., and that they are Chinese in origin. They are allegedly for gutting fish. You know know all that I know about them, and I've been obsessively collecting them every time I find one.

I'd love to know more (like why are they often so decorative if they are so utilitarian?), so if you know anything at all about them, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments: