Sunday, October 12, 2008

A divergance...

As you may know, I initially intended this blog as a one per day/365 day posting of my personal collection of old, interesting, or unusual weapons or weapon-like items.

Explicit in this aim is that I actually own 365 old, interesting, or unusual weapons or weapon-like items. Ah....no.

Implicit in this aim is that I'm either an idiot or incapable of not only counting, but even estimating, what I had in my armory.

But I want to do the one year thing. The missus insists (probably for cash flow reasons) that I not go on an acquisition bender, so I'm going to broaden scope somewhat to include old, interesting, or unusual militaria and other related artifacts.

To this end, I would like to introduce you to Trench Art. One fact of military life is that when not actually training or fighting, soldiers' lives could sometimes be impossibly dull. This fact coupled with access to unorthodox military ephemera and tools leads to Trench Art - the re-appropriation of military "stuff" for artistic purposes. This kind of stuff decorates the studies and dens of veterans everywhere.

To this end, here are a couple of planters made from the shells of 75 mm (7.5 cm) artillery shells.



They are pre-WW1 in manufacture, but may have been fired during the Great War. The base of one is stamped "POLTE MAGDEBURG VIII 1909" with various other armorers' touch marks (stamped 2 digit numbers). Polte was a German munitions manufacturer and Magdeburg was the town in which this particular factory was located. 1909 was the date of manufacture

The other is stamped "PATRONENFABRIK KARLSRUHE IX 1914"with similar touch marks. Again, Patronenfabrik was the manufacturer, Karlsruhe was the town, and 1914 was the date.

The only embellishments to these pieces comprise the riveted on lion's heads and rings - probably scavenged drawer or door pulls and a generous application of gold paint. Sometimes, these flank the door to Flintlock's Arsenal when I can manage to keep two plants alive long enough to put in them. Now is not such a time.

No comments: