Monday, October 13, 2008

You're da bomb!

And so is this:

This is a 50 lb. practice bomb that has had the nose perforated with military escutcheon-shaped cut-outs and cigar rests to form - what else? - an ashtray. A big ashtray. We can tell it was a practice bomb because of the sky-blue paint peeking through the later decorative layers. No danger of "ert" here.

We can tell it's an ashtray because...well, just look at it, dummy. I have in fact used this piece as an ashtray, as I've had it since college. You can only imagine the myriad goodies I've emptied from it in it's day. Hardly military at all, you might imagine. Now my kid likes to put random things in there, which is why when all of my guitar picks went missing, this was the first place I looked. There they were, nestled in amongst the dust bunnies, dead batteries, and cellophane candy wrappers...

No comments: