Monday, November 24, 2008

Another ugly knife


This is another hideous monstrosity that I only post here for sentimental reasons. This is an unmarked (who'd claim it?) Bowie-style knife with a steel handle with, of all things, ducks in flight adorning it in bold relief. It was another one of my grandfather's hand-me-downs. He kept this one in the side panel of his old Ford pick-up truck, ready to strap to his (or my) hip on impromptu evening trips to Bower's Beach or Port Mahon. It's so spectacularly ugly that it definitely provided me with great incentive to remember to pack along my own sheath knife on overnight trips to the grandparents' house. When if finally came home to roost (as it were), my affection for the horrid thing took time to grow - which it eventually did. Now I think of it as an old (of ugly) friend.

No comments: